Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Washing lamby

Bria got a beautiful lambskin as a baby gift, and has slept on it since she was quite small. She loves it very much, and doesn't sleep with drinks or anything like that, so I have managed to put off cleaning it a lot longer than I probably should have! Yesterday I decided it was looking well past time to do something about it, so I did some searching around for the best practices for cleaning her beloved bedding (shh, I didn't understand the instructions on the label!).

After finding a few great sources for buying them in the states (I was pleased to discover that Lamby Baby Products is just down the road from my home town), I also found several sets of cleaning instructions, and set my mind on what I was going to try. I was admittedly very nervous to ruin it!

First, I put lamby in the washing machine on the gentle cycle, warm. It came out looking like a wet cat, and holding water like a bathroom sponge.

Next, I laid it out on a big, thirsty towel on the dining room table.

I rolled it up inside the towel and squeezed a bit to suck some of the water up, and instantly the towel was drenched! There was a lot of water there, and the table was soaked, as well.

I got out a dry towel and rolled it up again.

This time, the towel didn't soak through, so I left it rolled up for a few hours, periodically squeezing it a bit to soak up as much water as I could.

Next I took a skirt hanger (the kind with the two clips at the bottom) and hung lamby up in the laundry room to dry overnight.

Then in the morning -- voila! A clean, dry lamby! Hooray!

(I took photos, but they don't seem to be cooperating. So maybe I can get them to play nicely later!)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Glad nothing bad happened. Sounds like you did some good research first :)

    ReplyDelete